We are looking for an Assistant Editor to provide six months, full-time maternity cover based in Burton-on-Trent and starting July 2017.
Working within the editorial team and reporting to two editors, you will provide support across a range of titles related to the UK’s navigable canals and rivers, including Waterways World, Britain’s best-selling waterway magazine since 1972. As such, this is a great opportunity for someone looking to further their career in journalism and/or publishing.
Key duties and responsibilities:
- Writing and researching material on a range of waterway-related topics
- Sub-editing and fact-checking material submitted by external contributors
- Creating and uploading content to social media
- Ensuring a smooth workflow between editorial, design and proof-reading departments
- Any administrative duties required to support the editorial team
- Occasional attendance at events
Skills and experience include:
- Educated to degree level
- Accurate and engaging writing style
- A high level of computer literacy, ideally with knowledge of Photoshop and InDesign software
- Ability to hit deadlines and manage time and workload effectively
- Experience of working in a publishing/content creation environment is desirable
- A willingness to understand and embrace our publications’ subject matter
To apply please send your CV and a covering letter to email@example.com
Advertising Production Controller
The ideal candidate
We want our advertising to always look the best it can in our portfolio of magazines and newspapers. To help achieve this we are seeking a new Advertising Production Controller. In this role you will be liaising with our advertisers, external design agencies and our own in-house team of designers and sales staff to ensure our publications meet our quality and deadline commitments.
Key tasks involve discussing design briefs, proofing copy, planning page layouts, liaising with editors, logging advertising data, invoicing and managing workflow.
The ideal candidate should be conscientious, have a high degree of accuracy, be computer literate, have a good telephone manner and an excellent standard of written English. The post would suit a recent graduate hoping to take their first step into the publishing industry. No design experience necessary.
To apply for this position, send your CV stating current salary (if applicable) with an appropriate cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only successful candidates will be notified. STRICTLY NO AGENCIES.
The ideal candidate
We are looking for an exceptional candidate for this position which might suit someone looking to take their first step into the publishing sector. The level of the role will in some part be determined by the calibre of the successful candidate. You will need to be enthusiastic, happy to learn and able to use your initiative. We pride ourselves on our customer service and the ideal candidate will have a professional manner and will be confident in speaking to a variety of people from customers through to suppliers, via email, on the telephone and face-to-face. The successful applicant will have a good working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel, as well as learning internal systems, and will have a good standard of written English.
The position will be based within, and provide administrative support to the Marketing & Events Department, as well as being the first point of contact in Reception and on the telephone switchboard.
Tasks may include:
- Handle reception calls
- Greet visitors and ensure they sign in
- Accept deliveries and forward to appropriate person
- Filing and organisation of paperwork
- Provide a quality, professional subscription and book order service to customers
- Import, check and process orders received online
- Take orders for, and assist in the despatch of, show tickets
- Handle telephone calls and emails from customers
- Process new and renewal Direct Debits
- Retrieve BACS reports
- Process subscription renewal letters and Direct Debit cancellation letters
- Send out gifts and orders as required
- Process subscription mailing files and send them to the printer
- Process credit card payments
- Data entry including competition entries
- Handle incoming orders of books from stockists and wholesalers
- Find ways to improve customer service and internal processes
- Attendance at shows required, including occasional weekend work
- Occasional manual lifting is required when preparing for events
- Any other appropriate duties assigned by your line manager, which may include assistance with marketing campaigns as required
Previous experience is not essential but motivation, enthusiasm for the industry and an eagerness to succeed are. For the right person, there may be opportunities for career progression within the department and elsewhere within the company.
To apply, please send your CV and covering letter to email@example.com. Please include your current salary (if applicable) within your covering letter.